We would have included the 1937 dance movie Shall We Dance starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in the list of our Top 10, but decided not to, because Fred Astaire already belongs to the dancing Hall of Fame. Also, because of limited space.
But our Top 10 Favourite Dance Movies still include one of the old legends of dance, Gene Kelly.
- Singing In The Rain (1952). This is considered one of the best musicals ever made, with the unforgettable scene of Gene Kelly singing and dancing in the rain. It also stars Donald O’Connor and Debbie Reynolds, both old time greats.
- West Side Story (1961). A fight scene between a native New York gang (the Jets), and immigrant Puerto Ricans (the Sharks) are portrayed as an elaborate dance scene in this undying classic. This is definitely one of the finest musical productions of all time.
- Saturday Night Fever (1977). This movie set a new craze for disco dancing in the late 70’s. John Travolta’s now iconic dance to the Bee Gee’s song, You Should Be Dancing, became a classic dance move ever since that time.
- Grease (1978). John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John did it again in this rambunctious dance musical. Grease won People’s Choice Award for Favourite Movie (1978) and Olivia Newton-John won a People Choice Award for Favourite Motion Picture Actress.
- All That Jazz (1979). The film is about Bob Fosse, a gifted dancer and choreographer, and acclaimed director of the Oscar winner, Cabaret. All That Jazz showcases the originality and talent involved in Jazz dancing.
- Footloose (1984). This is a high school musical where Kevin Bacon’s character revolutionizes dance in what was a backward town where the elders have outlawed and forbidden dancing.
- Center Stage (2000). This movie takes you to the rigorous world of ballet where success is often achieved by a result of a lot of hard work and dedication. It is fictional but quite realistic.
- Honey (2003). This movie showcases hip-hop and free style dance with such high-energy choreography that suits the younger teenage generation. Jessica Alba, the female lead, stars as a dance instructor with Lil’ Romeo.
- Happy Feet (2006). This is fun-tertainment — tap dancing penguins! It is a light hearted dance musical with penguins as lead stars.
- Step Up (2006 – 2014). Step Up is not just a dance movie. It has become a franchise that has showcased 7 movies, all of which feature hip-hop street dancing as a genre.
What are your Top 10 Favourite Dance Movies Of All Time?